will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 16:35:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 07:31 +0200, Petr Schindler wrote:
> On So, 2012-07-07 at 09:15 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > On 07/06/2012 07:10 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> > > I attempted installation using Fedora-20120703-x86_64-916dfe7-netinst.iso and
> > > found that it only allows choosing one desktop. I normally install both Gnome
> > > and KDE at this point and asked about it on #anaconda. Dlehman it was not
> > > planned to support that, and regarding installing other desktops afterwards and
> > > choosing between them at the login prompt, he said that wasn't up to them, but
> > > personally he frowned on that practice.
> >
> > I agree with David the installer should not support that and also frown
> > upon that practice.
> >
> > I also think that once the novice end user has choose in his DE in the
> > installer he should only be presented with packages/applications
> > targeted specifically for that desktop environment if he should be
> > presented with options to install additional packages et al...
>
> What about computers used by more users? All of them now have to use one
> DE? For example: family has one computer and every member uses it. One
> likes KDE, second Gnome, third Xfce. I can imagine such situation. Now,
> they can install more DE on installation and then just use them. And
> now? They will say something bad about developers minds and change
> distribution.

Maybe they will. So what? You can't please everyone.

> I thought that possibility of choice is the biggest advantage of linux
> against other systems. And also, Fedora is NOT distribution for (linux)
> novices, so I can't see any reason for constraint we are talking about.

Freedom of choice does not mean we are obligated to neatly package every
single possible combination of the components on offer. It also does not
mean we are obligated to appease the "I don't want to have to choose, so
I'll just take everything, please" crowd.