will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

Petr Schindler pschindl at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 05:31:21 UTC 2012

On So, 2012-07-07 at 09:15 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 07:10 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> > I attempted installation using Fedora-20120703-x86_64-916dfe7-netinst.iso and
> > found that it only allows choosing one desktop. I normally install both Gnome
> > and KDE at this point and asked about it on #anaconda. Dlehman it was not
> > planned to support that, and regarding installing other desktops afterwards and
> > choosing between them at the login prompt, he said that wasn't up to them, but
> > personally he frowned on that practice.
>
> I agree with David the installer should not support that and also frown
> upon that practice.
>
> I also think that once the novice end user has choose in his DE in the
> installer he should only be presented with packages/applications
> targeted specifically for that desktop environment if he should be
> presented with options to install additional packages et al...

What about computers used by more users? All of them now have to use one
DE? For example: family has one computer and every member uses it. One
likes KDE, second Gnome, third Xfce. I can imagine such situation. Now,
they can install more DE on installation and then just use them. And
now? They will say something bad about developers minds and change
distribution.

I thought that possibility of choice is the biggest advantage of linux
against other systems. And also, Fedora is NOT distribution for (linux)
novices, so I can't see any reason for constraint we are talking about.