will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

David dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:53:17 UTC 2012

On 7/9/2012 12:33 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/10/2012 12:19 AM, David wrote:
>> Anytime I hear this or something similar - "coming from the Windows
>> world and not aware they have a choice in the DeskTop" - I wonder just
>> who would wipe out a working OS on a computer and install 'something
>> named Linux' without doing any reach. None. Really?
>>
>> Windows users are just that. Windows users. And that does not make them
>> stupid.
>>
>> Install Fedora and the default is Gnome. Install Mageia and the default
>> is KDE. Install Ubuntu and the default in Unity. Google is *every ones*
>> friend.
>>
>> If it was *me* going to 'try Linux' I sure as heck would try the Live-CD
>> (DVD) path first so as not to trash my computer.
>
> You see......  You already know all that.  You are a bad example.

I did not "already know all that" when I first started with Linux. RH
5.2 (I think that was the number)  with Gnome and Mandrake 6.0 as I
recall with KDE. I was not terribly fond of either of them.

> You give people too much credit.  Do you really think everyone will do "research"?
>
> I feel it is better to display the "defaults" but let people know there are "options".

I don't think that you give people enough credit. It did not take me
long to try other desktops. KDE 2.x to 3.x was okay but IMO KDE 4.x is
junk. Gnome 2.x was fine but, again IMO Gnome 3.x is junk. So I use Xfce.

And I certainly *do not* mean to step on any of the many KDE or Gnome
developers and/or maintainers. I just don't like them. Me.

Very little of the desktop-specific software appeals to me. I don't use
K<anything> and the only Gnome stuff (GTK) that I use is what Fedora
sneaks in on me.
--

   David