will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 17:02:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 23:59 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/09/2012 11:43 PM, David Lehman wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 07:49 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> >> Agreed. And I fear the universe, in this case, may be winning by
> >> producing "bigger idiot" developers.
> > Indeed -- "bigger idiot" developers who seek to simplify their software
> > by eliminating limited-value features that bring needless complexity and
> > therefore bugs. All you have to do is run 'yum groupinstall <whatever>'
> > or use the graphical package manager to install your additional DEs.
> > This should not be prohibitively difficult.
> >

> Point taken.....
>
> However, I think the concern is that users new to Linux and/or Fedora may be coming
> from the Windows world and not aware they have a choice in the DeskTop.  So, they

There is a list of possible desktop choices that covers the entire left
hand side of the software configuration screen. You cannot get the
install to proceed until you choose exactly one of the options. If they
manage to get past that without realizing they made a choice there,
tough. That's beyond my powers to fix.