will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Tue Jul 10 20:56:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:59:56 -0500, David Lehman <dlehman at redhat.com> wrote:

> Installation is the only part of this where my opinion carries any
> weight, if even there. This is why I said I personally frown upon the
> practice of doing this post-install. If it were up to me, everyone would
> be forced to make a decision and it would be impossible to have multiple
> desktop environments installed within a given OS installation.

I'm coming late to this thread, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the
situation, but are you assuming that a single machine is used by exactly one
user? If there are two users, you don't think one should be able to use Gnome
and the other KDE?

I realize this isn't completely relevant to the question of whether the
second DE is available at install time, though I certainly would prefer that
it be.