will F18 allow simultaneous installation of more than one desktop?

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 9 20:19:47 UTC 2012

Colby Mckethen <cmckethen888 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Both sides of this conversation feel very passionately obviously. And there is
nothing wrong
> with that at all its just dissapointing to me to see it become a personal
attack instead of a
> healthy debate on why or why not certain pieces should be included. I agree
having numerous
> DEs available is nice and being able to use package from others is as well.
Although I do think
> that having the option to add them at install is not needed. One should
suffice at install than
> others through yum or however else you prefer to add them, and even for a
beginner as
> stated, it is quite simple to do this way

Which in fact is one reason I think the installer should allow it. For the
installer to have the opportunity of warning about issues associated with
multiple DEs, it first has to allow that. The other ways of achieving the same
result don't give any warning. So, for example, if multiple DEs causes problems
with upgrades, simply disabling it in the installer doesn't solve the problem -
it just removes any chance for an early warning. It would actually make the
problem worse.