Heads up packaging preset feature got accepted by FESCO

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 23:36:30 UTC 2012

We need to pay special attention to the half implementation of the
preset feature [1] that Red Hat club that FESCO is, decided should take
place.

The feature it self is much needed and appreciated however not making
the switch in a single release cycle after all the legacy sysv script
have been migrated native systemd units will leave us in a pile of shit
to deal with where *some*'packages ( and spins ) will use preset and
others not.

We need to pay special attention to those packages ( and spins ) that
will get the preset treatment with regards to potential upgrade problems
( enable/disable of service etc ) and other fallout that might occur.

Arguably we ( QA ) should take a firm stance against this being
implement into the distribution like this since this change will span
over several release cycles.

Regards
               JBG

1.https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PackagePresets