Root priviledges needed to poweroff

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Thu Jul 26 19:36:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, ergodic wrote:

> Karel your philosophy is correct.  I have seen this issue when my grandchildren complained that they could not turn of their box after it was was upgraded to F-17.  That is why I filed Bug 843299.
>
> Manny

While I understand the reasoning made by Karel, I have to say, that the
message preventing user to poweroff saved me a lot of times work I was
doing on their workstation remotely.

The bug you've submitted I understand is saying the /usr/bin/reboot should
ask or warn if someone else is logged in (!), else reboot immediately, but
/usr/sbin/reboot should reboot without asking, if you have sufficient
permissions, which is not the case when you invoke it as a user - that's
why system asks for authentication. I'd say this a bit different thing to
what we are talking here about.

Adam Pribyl