Root priviledges needed to poweroff

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 09:09:03 UTC 2012

Dne Čt 26. července 2012 21:36:20, Adam Pribyl napsal(a):
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, ergodic wrote:
> > Karel your philosophy is correct.  I have seen this issue
> > when my grandchildren complained that they could not turn of
> > their box after it was was upgraded to F-17.  That is why I
> > filed Bug 843299.
> >
> > Manny
>
> While I understand the reasoning made by Karel, I have to say,
> that the message preventing user to poweroff saved me a lot of
> times work I was doing on their workstation remotely.
>
> The bug you've submitted I understand is saying the
> /usr/bin/reboot should ask or warn if someone else is logged
> in (!), else reboot immediately, but /usr/sbin/reboot should
> reboot without asking, if you have sufficient permissions,
> which is not the case when you invoke it as a user - that's
> why system asks for authentication. I'd say this a bit
> different thing to what we are talking here about.

hm, now I'm a bit confused who talks about what :-)

I say that warning about users logged in is useful *always* (both
for ordinary user and for admin)

but the warning should not prevent _any_ eligible user from
powering off/rebooting, it should just provide a possibility to
reconsider

"eligible user" is
a) admin
b) local user

if the user is not local then ask for admin privileges

if the user is local then DO NOT ask for admin privileges (else
the user will just cut the power supply which is worse than
killing others' running processes)

in addition, admin should be able to override the warning not
having to explicitly answer "yes I'm sure I want reboot despite
there are other users logged in" to allow to schedule the
reboot/poweroff or script it, but this (not asking) should not be
the default behaviour

reboot and poweroff should act the same in this regard - if they
don't, that's a clear bug

K.

--
Karel Volný