[criteria update] Rescue mode

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 21:55:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 21:51 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >> So what no text mode and no rescue mode this release?
> >>
> >>   From the looks of it we should just delay the new anaconda for F19 and
> >> re-use the release we used for F17 .
> >>
> >> This topic should be added to the meeting agenda and voted upon.
> > The inclusion of newUI in itself is a Feature; the correct way to get it
> > delayed, if we decided we want that, would be to bring it up with FESCo
> > (by filing a FESCo ticket asking them to look at it). A vote of QA alone
> > isn't sufficient to mandate the removal of a feature.
>
> I disagree the QA vote should be sufficient to deem the feature not
> complete thus Anaconda would be subjected to their contingency plan.

Well, to a certain extent it's academic. I suspect that if QA was
strongly of the opinion that the feature isn't sufficiently complete,
FESCo would give substantial weight to that input in making its
determination. But it's FESCo that owns the feature process, and
ultimately FESCo that makes the final determination of whether a feature
is meeting the requirements of the process - it's FESCo that has to say
'we declare this feature isn't meeting the process, and here's what we
plan to do about it'.

> As I have mentioned before on this thread if the plan is to extend
> installer initrd with the rescue mode or a have separate grub entry with
> rescue initrd ( or rescue mode in some other form ) we need testable
> spin with that solution in the installer ASAP so we can test if that can
> work as an acceptable solution to use in F18 however if the plan is to
> drop it we can cast a vote on next meeting.
>
> What we need now is to actually hear from the Anaconda team what they
> are planning to do...

Yeah, I'm asking at present. Chris is out until next Wednesday, though,
so we may not get definitive word before then.