F17 vs. Pentium 4

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 29 23:26:58 UTC 2012

On 2012/03/29 17:29 (GMT-0500) Michael Hennebry composed:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Felix Miata wrote:

>>  Stepping doesn't say anything useful without family&  model for context. I'm
>>  looking at two different Hyperthreading P4 cpuinfo screens ATM, stepping of 3
>>  on one, 5 on the other, but one is model 4 family 5 2048 cache (2.8GHz
>>  Prescott I think), the other model 6 family 5 2048 cache (3.4GHz Cedar Mill
>>  for sure).

Those were supposed to read family 15 (but all Pentium 4 are 15 AFAICT).

> Here is /proc/cpuinfo:
> processor	: 0
> vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
> cpu family	: 15
> model		: 2
> model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
> stepping	: 9
> cpu MHz		: 3200.000
> cache size	: 512 KB
> flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
> address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual

Except for the apparent CPU speed error between URL and body text,
http://ark.intel.com/products/27493/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-supporting-HT-Technology-3_20-GHz-512K-Cache-800-MHz-FSB
seems to describe what you have, a late production (socket 478) Northwood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4

If you want NX for your existing motherboard you'd probably have to find a
Prescott 478, which may never have existed, and even if it does, might not be
supported by your BIOS or any available upgrade for it.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/