"Safely Remove Drive" command gone in F17?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Wed May 16 13:20:25 UTC 2012

I have an USB thumb drive with an LED that lights up when it is activated.

On Windows, when I am done using it, I can "safely remove" the device,
at which point the LED turns off and I know it is safe to unplug it from
the system.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought there was an equivalent
"safely remove" command in Fedora. However, on my F17 system, I can no
longer find this command anywhere, e.g., it isn't on the menu when I
right-click on the drive's icon, and neither umounting nor ejecting the
drive from that menu causes the LED to turn off. This, understandably,
makes me uncomfortable about yanking it out of the system.

So (a) what is the right way to completely deactivate a USB device, so
that the device knows and tells the user that it has been deactivated,
and (b) is there a bug here that I should be filing in bugzilla?

Thanks,

   jik