How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 17:13:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 11:08 +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 11:59:31PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > > We would just not have the Fedora release dependent upon the result from
> > > those tests...
>
> > In practice what usually happens is I fire up the VM I keep around
> > specifically for this purpose and do the test on the last few Final
> > builds. Takes me about ten minutes a shot.
>
> Can you test with UEFI in a VM?

I could, but I never have. I'm not sure we'd block on
dualboot-alongside-UEFI-native-Windows, at least not up until now. But
different now W8 is out.

> I ran into the problem that I couldn't dualboot with Windows 8
> under UEFI (because it appears 'os-prober' can't speak EFI yet!)
> This was a 'bare metal' install obviously. (Bugzilla: 873207)
>
> So I think Johann does have a slight point, though he expresses
> most of his opinions rather bluntly :)

Well, 'more testing is always better' is always a valid point, but
practically not of much use. I'm happier for us to be testing dualboot
with Windows a bit than to be testing it not at all. Testing it a lot
would obviously be better.

> I however would vote for keeping some minimal QA attention fixed to
> dual booting as I occasionaly have a use for Windows.
> (And running Windows in a VM is merde on these stupid 16:9 laptop
>  screens).
>
> OT 1:
> Apart from the 'pain in the anaconda' bit and some slight hiccups
> (are there dracut changes for example?) F18 runs smoothly and beautifully.
>
> OT 2:
> The default install of Windows 8 is clean and smart. Much simpler and
> faster than fancy pants anaconda-new (but then of course Windows does
> not aim for all these diverse situations).

Yes, it's very easy to be clean and smart if you offer no options for
partitioning, install source, or package set :)