The future of how to debug pages

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 19:54:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 20:31 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 08:25 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:29:39 +0000
> > "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> A while back I started the initiative and writing how to debug pages
> >> for QA Community to use and was about to write another when I noticed
> >> when there has been put a big fat banner referring to upstream wiki
> >> page on it.
> >>
> >> So my question here should we continue with this initiative which was
> >> aimed at better documentation in the project and to improve general
> >> reporting or should we simply drop the effort?
> >>
> >> JBG
> >>
> >> 1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Systemd_problems
> > I think if upstream projects want to provide information on this, that
> > should be preferred. In cases where they don't for whatever reason, I
> > think a page on our wiki is fine.
> >
> > The problem will end up being knowing where to go... perhaps we could
> > make a single page on the wiki about debugging and point to the various
> > upstream or local debugging pages?
>

> The general idea was to increase activity within the QA community and
> improve reporting at the same time without having them running around
> the whole internet while doings so.
>
> If the community prefers to run to various upstreams for this info we
> can just as well stop reporting to Red Hat's bugzilla and report
> directly upstream instead. ( something I have been very much against in
> the past for the very same reasons )

I don't see that that follows logically at *all*. The two just seem like
totally different things. Instructions for debugging a given component
are going to be the same whether you're running Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE or
whatever: debugging systemd is debugging systemd. There may be cases
where there are local variations, in which case it makes sense to have a
local wiki page, but in cases where there aren't, it seems perfectly
sensible if the instructions are provided upstream. I don't see any way
in which that means bugs reports should always be upstream.

I honestly don't see any problem with a Fedora 'how to debug' page
simply referring to the upstream instructions if such instructions
exist. It doesn't seem like it's actually a practical problem to have to
load a page that is not hosted on a Fedora server. It's what hyperlinks
were invented for. I'm really not seeing the problem here.