Proposal: let's just use the FAS group already

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 21:40:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-16 at 21:35 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On mán 16.des 2013 21:00, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Even though we don't really have a lot of use for the FAS group,
>
> None what so ever.

Actually, there is one, I forgot to mention it: we can have 'qa' inherit
'fedorabugs', which would give all QA members 'editbugs' privileges.

> >   Fedora
> > as a whole is set up such that 'being a member of a FAS group' is a bar
> > to entry for some things,
>
> Not with us and never should be.

We're part of Fedora, not some kind of independent entity. Having
fedorapeople space is a useful thing for QA members. Being able to vote
in elections is a useful thing for QA members. Currently, you have to
find some other way to get yourself added to a group in order to get
those things, which means you have to apply to some other group or find
someone with moderator privileges for a group and persuade them to add
you, just so you can 'game the system'. Why is it a bad thing if we just
put QA people in the QA group so they can have access to those things?

> > so it seems like we're putting ourselves at a
> > disadvantage by not putting our members in our FAS group.
>
> No we are not and we are putting ourselves in advantage by not doing so.

Could you please explain what advantage we're giving ourselves by not
putting people in a FAS group?