Recommended system requirements for f20 not sufficient?

Dan Mossor dan.mossor at outlook.com
Thu Dec 19 21:26:10 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 01:21 PM, Akshay Vyas wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

>>> Well, I did some testing during F20 cycle which seems to indicate F20
>>> Shell takes up a lot more memory than F19 when using llvmpipe. We're not
>>> sure exactly what's going on yet, I need to find time to circle back and
>>> investigate, but I suspect '1GB in a VM' and '1GB on metal' will be
>>> somewhat different experiences. 1GB is getting a bit thin for the
>>> default desktop with the current typical requirements of GNOME, FF and
>>> LO, though, yeah.
>>

>> FWIW: F20 runs without many problems on 512k RAM:
>>
>> # cat /proc/meminfo
>> MemTotal:         508392 kB
>> MemFree:          127952 kB
>>
>> # cat /etc/fedora-release
>> Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)
>>
>> However, this is a system on which Fedora was installed long time ago
>> gradually upgraded to f20.
>>
>> Ralf
>>
> I tested all Desktop environments on my old PC with 1G (DDR1) and
> found out that all DE's are working fine
> except GNOME(Default DE) and KDE which gave me some issues(slows down
> or freezes) when running Firefox,Chrome,GIMP etc
>

>> --

Keep in mind that he's specifically addressing the LIVE iso - since it
has to load it's entire environment into a RAMDisk, it only makes sense
that we should be advising 2GB+ for live environments. When there is
storage media besides RAM available, you can run F20 on as little as the
512MB that Ralf is using.

--
Dan Mossor
Systems Engineer at Large