Getting hardware info for bug triage

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 23 22:34:12 UTC 2013

On 23/02/13 12:50 PM, Christopher Beland wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/How_to_Triage says:
>
>> If you suspect a hardware-specific problem, you might request a
>> Smolt profile. The reporter may need to "yum install smolt" if it is
>> not already installed, then run "smoltSendProfile" and add the
>> public URL provided to the bug in a comment.
>

> But smolt is no longer available, e.g. for Fedora 18.
>

> What advice do we want to put here instead? I know lspci is sometimes
> useful with peripherals, and hciconfig appears helpful for Bluetooth
> problems. The Control Panel "Details" tab is not all that helpful,
> though it does have some stuff.

lspci -nn is always something I'd want. For graphics issues, X log
usually has the needed hardware info (this is already mentioned in the
'how to debug X' stuff). For sound issues, alsa-info is always what you
want...

> It would be nice to have an automated replacement for smolt; perhaps
> something is kicking around Fedora land these days?

The mooted replacement is census:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/census.git

which hasn't been touched for nearly a year, apparently. :( This is
pretty unfortunate, and I'll have to see if I can apply toe-based
encouragement to some appropriate posteriors...

> P.S. - I can't update this wiki page even though I have an account; it
> wants me to sign the CLA, but when I do so on the administrative site,
> it says I cannot be added to the group.

Sounds like something you'd want to ask for support with...I think this
would be #fedora-admin?