Fedora 18 issues with translations and keymaps

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:23:03 UTC 2013

On 01/03/2013 08:03 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, folks. I'm not really sure how to frame it, but the result of all
> my poking about at keyboard layout bugs and related stuff recently is
> that I'm pretty sad at the state of support for
> anything-but-U.S.-English in Fedora 18.
<snip>...</snip>

> I don't really know where we need to go with this, exactly, but a few
> questions arise naturally:
>
> 1. In the short term, is the combination of all these factors enough for
> us to want to delay F18 further to try and make things suck less?
>
> 2. If not, do we want to engage in some Messaging around the F18 release
> to emphasize that we know there are all these issues and we'll try to
> smooth things out for F19?
>
> 3. In the longer term, how can we get anaconda, i18n, systemd, GNOME etc
> folks all pointed in the same direction and working so that there's far
> less suckage and far more smooth interaction going on here? Should we
> try and run some sort of session at FUDCon?
>
> Thanks, folks!

Given that Fesco aggreed upon and thinks releasing F19 with shorter
cycle is a great idea while I along with others in the community are on
the opposite side and think we need longer release cycle.

Our package collection has been growing larger over the years not
shorter which to me requires more time and resources to manage thus we
longer release cycle not shorter one.

Based on our sad state in F18 I think we should just cut our losses and
"restart" the release cycle for F18  and use the release cycle Fesco
agreed upon for F19 as in F18 becomes an end-of-May release with an
end-of-February branch date.

JBG,