Fedora 18 issues with translations and keymaps

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 15:43:30 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 01/03/2013 03:26 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > That's more - do not ship blindly, try to figure out as much as
> > possible
> > but within the time frame we have.
>

> You may not have been long enough sitting in the release chair to
> realize that the time frame that was used to initially determined the
> first release cycle of the Fedora has since long been out grown.
>
> Heck I cant even remember any release that has been manage to be
> shipped
> on time.
>
> Can you provide me with proper argument why it is so urgent to
> release
> now? Why the rush? What benefit it's supposed to bring to our end
> user
> instead of delivering them better complete working product?

The only argument - we look like fools. I admit this is my first
release, it's a fun one :) but - for F18, we were planning six
months release cycle (+some time for blocking issues, it's
non sense to release with blockers). But F18 was very different -
but changing the release cycle/planning should happen before.

Also we are still able to deliver very good product, it's always
about compromise - even if we would just scratch all "time based
release cycle" - you can aim on perfection, but we're not Hurd :)
It's always about scope, about resources - currently we do not
have resources to fix this in timely manner - if you will
volunteer, I'll reconsider. And yeah, it makes me sad we do not
have any stronger i18n teams around that could handle all these
issues - but it's again about resources.

Even my position is called manager, I'm not one - I hope - and
still have some common sense (even engineers are sometimes that
perfectionists;-).

But we are far away from the topics. Let's figure out, how we
can make the release better (or best when we consider our
resources) - there are fixable bugs.

Jaroslav