critera proposal/discussion: boot.fedoraproject.org

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sat Jan 12 02:38:25 UTC 2013

Chris,

On 2013-01-12 05:25, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2013, at 5:44 AM, Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> ie something small, light and fast to install a minimal system with
>> sshd (not even X or at least just xdm+twm).  I currently install
>> (usually) from a Live CD/USB but it would be nice to have something
>> that didn't need repeated downloading.
>
> Why not netinst.iso from which you can choose the Minimal package
> set?
>
> netinst.iso is ~300MB. I'm not sure how much additional is downloaded
> when choosing the Minimal package set. But in any case you're
> repeatedly downloading something. BFO will download the entire
> current
> package set every time you use it. The BFO file on the USB stick is
> something like 100KB, maybe.

I am thinking of the situation when I want to install the latest Fedora
on a VS provider's setup and they don't have the template for that
version (or Fedora at all!) - it SHOULD be much quicker to upload the
bfo.iso to their site and do everything else from there but I found it
much too slow and clunky and I ended up building my own minimal install
iso (still ~450KB) and uploading that . .

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades