netinst.iso poor experience

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 13:18:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 09:33:45PM -0800, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 01/29/2013 05:17 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> >I tried an install of f18 on a new bare metal machine today.  My 1st try was
> >netinst.iso.
> >
> >It sat 'installing' for well over an hour, giving _no feedback at all_ as to
> >what it was doing.  I can only guess it was d/l stuff from an overloaded mirror.
> >
> >I checked periodically, and saw anaconda was using some cpu (5%), so it wasn't
> >just stuck, and there seemed to be network activity.

For what it's worth, I've probably done over a dozen installs from net.iso,
using the minimal install option, and it usually takes less than 10
minutes.

I haven't tried, however, to install it with any sort of X.  It's just as
quick (for my situation) to get the basic thing set up, then pull in the
packages I need afterwards.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: I can't believe you got into Oxford!
Willow: It's pretty exciting.
Oz: That's some deep academia there.
Buffy: That's where they make Gileses!
Willow: I know! I can learn, and have scones!