option to install extlinux to a partition???

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 08:07:34 UTC 2013

> It's going to be pretty hard to diagnose any of these without more
> precise information.
>
> Usually the only thing you absolutely need is a partition assigned the /
> mount point. But if you're doing a UEFI-native install, you also need a
> partition of the EFI System Partition type, mounted at /boot/efi . If
> you're doing a BIOS-native install to a GPT-labelled disk (which may be
> the case, I guess, since you have eleventy billion partitions), you need
> a BIOS boot partition to be present on the target disk.

Well, that's probably only strictly the case for grub2. But I've no idea
how the extlinux path and the 'check for required partitions' path
interact, actually. I don't know if anyone's really considered it. It's
perfectly possible you've simply found a bug there. Again extlinux is an
unsupported option: the anaconda team basically just took the
contributed patches, and it's been minimally tested. It's entirely
possible it has odd interactions with other checks and the like.
anaconda's a complex beast and such things only usually get worked out
with usage.