os-prober and fd0?

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Mon Jun 10 17:40:48 UTC 2013

On 06/10/2013 08:37 AM, Joerg Lechner wrote:
> I have now disabled, all what there is to disable (including parallel and serial port, second and third boot device), enabled  USB, PS2, first boot device - cdrom, network etc.. This bootloader process took  now approximately 1 minute.
> What do You think causes this wasted installation time? Is the only chance to test "try and error"?

Error recovery on a device with moving parts is *SLOW*.
For example, recovering from a read error on a physical DVD
can take a whole minute or more.  Just recovering an ATA bus error
can take 30 seconds or more.  I've seen these: one of the SATA
channels on the I/O bridge chip on one of my boxes is flaky.
At first I thought it was the DVD drive, but a new drive
which worked in another box also experienced the same problem.
So now there's a piece of tape over that SATA connector.