Most latest mirrors for fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jun 13 16:30:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:10:28 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 20:44 +0530, piruthiviraj natarajan wrote:
> > I used Arch Linux for a long time and there is an option in Arch
> > Linux for determining the mirrors which have synced the latest with
> > the mirror status. I would be happy to know if there is a service
> > for fedora like this https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/ .

We don't have anything like that off hand that I know of.

Mirrors that don't check in as being up to date, or fail a crawler test
from mirrormanager are simply removed from the mirrorlists as stale.

> > checked some of the packages(sssd) in official [Fedora
> > mirrors](http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/19/x86_64/os/Packages/s/)
> > which are lagging behind [kernel.org
> > mirrors](http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/testing/19/x86_64/)
> > for fedora which was surprising.

That is indeed suprising to me as dl.fedoraproject.org is our master
mirrors. ;) All the tier1 mirrors sync from it.

What were you seeing more up to date on kernel.org?

> > I would like to know which of the fedora mirrors would sync first so
> > that I would set it up on top in my baseurl in
> > fedora-updates-testing.repo.

Well, you can use dl.fedoraproject.org, but...

> The problem with a system like that is everyone uses it and then
> everyone piles onto one mirror and overloads it...

This could happen. If we get too many people hitting master mirrors we
may have to limit the numbers we answer, etc.

You could also try the yum-fastestmirror plugin, but it's a bit
simplistic.

kevin