Most latest mirrors for fedora

piruthiviraj natarajan piruthiviraj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 16:59:44 UTC 2013

>> On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 20:44 +0530, piruthiviraj natarajan wrote:
>> > I used Arch Linux for a long time and there is an option in Arch
>> > Linux for determining the mirrors which have synced the latest with
>> > the mirror status. I would be happy to know if there is a service
>> > for fedora like this https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/ .
>
> We don't have anything like that off hand that I know of.

It would be great If we had something like that. It doesn't need too
much engineering expertise for Fedora people to have a page which
shows the status.
I have seen  centos mirros status http://mirror-status.centos.org/ .
Should I file a bug report for this feature?

> Mirrors that don't check in as being up to date, or fail a crawler test
> from mirrormanager are simply removed from the mirrorlists as stale.

>> > checked some of the packages(sssd) in official [Fedora
>> > mirrors](http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/19/x86_64/os/Packages/s/)
>> > which are lagging behind [kernel.org
>> > mirrors](http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/testing/19/x86_64/)
>> > for fedora which was surprising.
>
> That is indeed suprising to me as dl.fedoraproject.org is our master
> mirrors. ;) All the tier1 mirrors sync from it.

The package I was looking for was sssd.
Sorry. I made a mistake. I was looking at the wrong place.
I should have used
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/19/x86_64/
instead of http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/19/x86_64/os/Packages/s/

> What were you seeing more up to date on kernel.org?
>
>> > I would like to know which of the fedora mirrors would sync first so
>> > that I would set it up on top in my baseurl in
>> > fedora-updates-testing.repo.
>
> Well, you can use dl.fedoraproject.org, but...

I am already using dl.fedoraproject.org. How long does it take to
transfer the koji builds to the fedora mirrors.

>> The problem with a system like that is everyone uses it and then
>> everyone piles onto one mirror and overloads it...
>
> This could happen. If we get too many people hitting master mirrors we
> may have to limit the numbers we answer, etc.
>
> You could also try the yum-fastestmirror plugin, but it's a bit
> simplistic.

The yum-fastestmirror is not the up to date mirror of all the fedora
mirrors in my zone of GMT + 5.30.