Most latest mirrors for fedora

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 13 18:52:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 10:30 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:10:28 -0700
> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 20:44 +0530, piruthiviraj natarajan wrote:
> > > I used Arch Linux for a long time and there is an option in Arch
> > > Linux for determining the mirrors which have synced the latest with
> > > the mirror status. I would be happy to know if there is a service
> > > for fedora like this https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/ .
>
> We don't have anything like that off hand that I know of.
>
> Mirrors that don't check in as being up to date, or fail a crawler test
> from mirrormanager are simply removed from the mirrorlists as stale.

> > > checked some of the packages(sssd) in official [Fedora
> > > mirrors](http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/19/x86_64/os/Packages/s/)
> > > which are lagging behind [kernel.org
> > > mirrors](http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/updates/testing/19/x86_64/)
> > > for fedora which was surprising.
>
> That is indeed suprising to me as dl.fedoraproject.org is our master
> mirrors. ;) All the tier1 mirrors sync from it.
>
> What were you seeing more up to date on kernel.org?

Note that the situation with sssd is a bit complex. The broken update
was submitted for updates-testing on 06-12 at 12:01, and pushed to
updates-testing on 06-12 at 12:41. It was then marked to be 'unpushed' -
i.e. taken off the mirrors - on 06-13 at 01:28. A fixed sssd package was
then added to the update and submitted for updates-testing on 06-13 at
10:56, and pushed to updates-testing on 06-13 at 15:53.

I'm not sure whether unpushes require any manual action or if they
happen automatically, but if the unpush actually happened, then there
was a time when the 'most current' state of the mirrors would have an
*older* sssd package than a 'less current' state of the mirrors - a
'less current' mirror would still have the broken update, but a 'more
current' mirror would have had it removed. It's not _always_ the case
that the mirror with a higher-versioned package is the more up to date.
99% of the time, but not always.