F19 Installer a little better, but...

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 14 19:40:10 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-14 09:57 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 05:24 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> it seems pretty clear to me what you should have done at
> the point of
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/anaconda19tc3-06parts-0768.png : changed
> the 'File System' drop down

Yup, now after catching up on sleep I see it. But, time and again the
eyestrain apparently caused me to be fooled by its appearance. That barely
visible (gray on gray mousetype) select list is at least 6 times as wide as
the name of any filesystem type I can think of.

>  to whatever you wanted to use (ext4,
> whatever) and then entered / for the 'Mount Point'. That ought to have
> been sufficient. All you've done in the screenshot is tell anaconda to
> reformat the partition: you haven't told it you actually want to *use*
> it for anything.

Mount point among the input fields appears above everything except (the
inexplicably present input field:) device name (duplicating the larger bolder
device name above it to left). One should be able to fill it in at any time,
including (logically top to bottom) first. Whatever is prerequisite to other
should be above other.

> 'Add Mount Point' is for creating a new partition, and 'configure
> selected mount point' is only going to work for a partition that has
> been assigned a mount point.

The way I remember this is that it's a circular problem not presented by such
other installers as http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/mgaReadonly1s2.png (screen of
nothing but choosing mount points) and
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/yast2-04-expertPartChooseEdit0768.png (edit
button under partitions list).

> Did you try, at any point, reading the documentation? The F18
> Installation Guide did a rather good job of documenting how newUI works.

Try, yes. Succeed, no. Attempts produce the likes of these:
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/anaconda19tc3-05parthelp-1200.png
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/fedoradocs03b.png
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/fedoradocs04b.png
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-June/116133.html

>> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/ has screenshots mostly of the installation
>> process, in part because without them the problems have been too numerous to
>> for me to be able to remember. My difficulty with Anaconda's wheel logic is
>> compounded by the illegibility of its tiny gray text on gray background.

> If you're talking about
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/anaconda19tc3-03destination-1024.png ,
> it's not actually meant to be that small, I don't think. It doesn't look
> like that for me in VMs or on metal. What environment are you running
> the installer in, exactly?

Hardware, switching between a 15" 1024x768 LCD and a 19.8" visible CRT trying
to discover a way to make everything legible. At the time I was trying to get
a 1600x1200 screenshot of Anaconda from the installed F19 system, lack of
configured installation sources prevented it. So, as a substitute I created

http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Fedora/anaconda19tc3-08softselect-1200-120.png

which is an excellent contextual showing of actual text sizes encountered on
the CRT with either resolution='1600x1200' on cmdline, or no gfx config
params specified on cmdline. NAICT, the smaller text being used is 9px, or
roughly 25% of comfortable to read if black on white rather than gray on
gray. On the CRT, besides being tiny, its all _very_ muddy looking compared
to looking at the same image on a 20" 1600x1200 LCD.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/