gnome-shell cpu usage during installation

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jun 21 15:56:26 UTC 2013

On Jun 20, 2013, at 6:47 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> It's not a general issue, I don't think. Confirming John's report, on my
> desktop (9600 GT), CPU usage of Shell when I'm not touching the keyboard
> is 0.7%, and it never goes above 3% in light desktop use.

On the newer laptop it's 1-7% with either F18 or F19.
On the older laptop it's 10-20% with F18 and OS X, and 70-100% with F19.

All above boots are EFI.

On Jun 20, 2013, at 6:45 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> if you run it from a terminal inside the X session it should work, but
> if you run it from a VT, you have to do it like this:
>
> DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep render

F18:
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV84
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_AMD_conservative_depth,

F19:
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV84
    GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp,
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render,