critera proposal/discussion: FESCo blockers

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 17:37:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 11:29 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Per: https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1126 I'm sending this here
> for comment.
>
> Rarely, but from time to time there is some change FESCo has required
> before they will go at the go/no-go meeting. While we could just leave
> that to the meeting, it would be better/nicer IMHO if we could track
> these issues using the same process QA uses for blockers so there's no
> suprise at the go/no-go meeting and everyone knows some bug needs to be
> addressed.
>
> So:
>
> Criteria: Any bugs FESCo deems blocking (as voted on by a
> majority of FESCo members) are added to the the blocker for that
> milestone.
>
> Happy to have revisions or better ideas...

So, just a phrasing thing, the criteria are mostly written in the form
'XXX must be the case', not 'XXX is added to the blocker list'. So
perhaps:

'All bugs deemed by FESCo to block the milestone release must be fixed.'

Would be enough. My suggestion used the terms 'issues' and 'addressed'
as weasel words we've found useful before - in the case where we work
around a bug, rather than fixing it, we can call that 'addressing' it -
but I don't really mind writing it that way and just using Common Sense
(tm). I think specifying FESCo's current decision-making mechanism -
majority vote - in the criterion is a mistake, as it's at least
theoretically plausible that FESCo could change its decision-making
mechanism in future, and then the criterion would need to be updated for
no good reason. All that matters to the blocker process is that 'FESCo
Hath Deemed It Thus'. The mechanism by which FESCo Deems things is out
of scope.