abrt broken for f19

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 12:19:34 UTC 2013

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:01:23 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Just a heads-up: abrt for F19 is currently busted for two reasons.

It has become more troublesome even before that for multiple reasons.

Failures to use the retrace server. Long time-out before the message that
something has been unsuccessful. No idea when to try again. Occassionally
I found myself searching for ways to disable retrace server usage, so I
could generate backtraces locally.

Meanwhile, there's an error dialog that my C/C++ backtrace settings are
wrong/invalid, so I opened them and wondered how to restore them? The two
fields are empty. There's a link to a web page about them, but it doesn't
mention the retrace server URL. I've searched for "abrt retrace server
url", and a different page mentions "https://retrace.fedoraproject.org",
but it seems one must omit the "https://" when configuring abrt-gui. Once
done, the server is reachable but apparently broken as this thread's title
suggests.

There's a dialog where it asks me whether I "want to generate a stack
trace locally". While I type this message, only the "Yes" button can be
clicked. The "No" button is greyed out. There's also a "Don't ask me again"
checkbox, which is marked by default, unmarking it enables the "No" button.
Very confusing.

In GNOME Shell I get desktop notifications about problems that have been
detected. Yet when I click "Report", nothing happens. Sometimes ABRT
reports kernel problems, but claims that the kernel is tainted. Uh?
I run just the official Fedora kernel here with no proprietary drivers.
But such kernel problems are not the only problems that cannot be reported.

When I open abrt-gui manually, there is nothing left to report. I've filed
a couple of related bugzilla tickets for ABRT before, but the behaviour is
still questionable and very confusing IMO. I've learned about
"ShortenedReporting" and have disabled it. "AutoreportingEnabled" is also
set to "no" here. ABRT still moves problems to the "reported problems"
list before I have submitted them successfully. Who knows how many reports
are lost due to that?

There early releases of ABRT have been much more usable in my opinion.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc3.git0.4.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.72 0.43 0.21