Revised Beta criteria up

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 2 05:10:11 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 08:47 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> >> "but must not do so when running as a live image." <--- makes no sense
> >> and should be removed
> >
> > Er? It makes perfect sense. We don't want to encourage people to run a
> > system update when booting live; this will just result in RAM
> > exhaustion. So we disable the update checks in the boot scripts of the
> > live image kickstarts.
>
> My concern is with users with live usb and persistent storage I'm pretty
> sure they would like to get update notifications.

Unfortunately we can't do much about that case (except make
livecd-iso-to-disk reverse the customizations in the kickstart when
writing a persistent storage device, which sounds...eww), and it's the
minority case.

> >> For F20 we should start looking into adding containers ( libvirt lxc )
> >> to the beta criteria along with test cases for it
> >
> > Why do you pick out containers in particular? Is this a particularly
> > important area of functionality for the future?
>
> There are several benefits of using containers instead of virtualzation.
> bare metal performance, less storage space etc. so I would say yes.
>
> I would think we should be focusing on testing all the connection
> options in virt-manager and those are xen,qemu/kvm and lxc ( linux
> containers )

Seems reasonable to test all those, but I gotta admit I haven't seen
much use of LXC in the wild, it doesn't seem like something people are
clamoring for. Any others on the list particularly keen on LXC? Am I
missing the latest hot thing? :)