my impressions of F19A, from Radeon testing day

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 2 05:06:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 15:39 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> > I've never quite got the 'being proud of having a keyboard with no Super
> > key' thing. It's a handy key. But anyway, this is a general introductory
> > video to GNOME aimed at very new users; if you're geeky enough to have
> > gone out and carefully sourced a keyboard with no Super key, you are not
> > the target audience of the video, so that doesn't really seem to be a
> > problem.
>
> Based on the pictures that DJ posted later, it looks like his keyboard
> is the same IBM model M that I have, and I sure as heck didn't "care-
> fully source" a Super key-less keyboard.  As far as I know, the Windows/
> Super key hadn't been invented when my keyboard was manufactured back in
> 1996.  (If it had been invented, it certainly wasn't ubiquitous.)

Okay, okay, if you're still using one, you get a pass. But come on,
understand that about 99% of existing PC keyboards have a
Super/System/Windows/Whatever key, and it seems kind of a waste of
effort to hack up the video just to acknowledge those of us who still
have prehistoric keyboards. I mean, can we agree it's a bit nitpicky?