Super/System/Windows/Whatever key (was: my impressions of F19A...)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu May 2 15:30:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-01 22:06 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 15:39 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:

>> Adam Williamson wrote:

>> > I've never quite got the 'being proud of having a keyboard with no Super
>> > key' thing. It's a handy key. But anyway, this is a general introductory
>> > video to GNOME aimed at very new users; if you're geeky enough to have
>> > gone out and carefully sourced a keyboard with no Super key, you are not
>> > the target audience of the video, so that doesn't really seem to be a
>> > problem.

>> Based on the pictures that DJ posted later, it looks like his keyboard
>> is the same IBM model M that I have, and I sure as heck didn't "care-
>> fully source" a Super key-less keyboard.  As far as I know, the Windows/
>> Super key hadn't been invented when my keyboard was manufactured back in
>> 1996.  (If it had been invented, it certainly wasn't ubiquitous.)

> Okay, okay, if you're still using one, you get a pass. But come on,
> understand that about 99% of existing PC keyboards have a
> Super/System/Windows/Whatever key, and it seems kind of a waste of
> effort to hack up the video just to acknowledge those of us who still
> have prehistoric keyboards. I mean, can we agree it's a bit nitpicky?

I too use a heavy, ancient IBM keyboard, but only for lack of adequate
quantity of better. My (3) primaries also were acquired last century. I'd
love to have extra keys if I could find any affordable models made for touch
typing, with:

CAPSLOCK in typewriter location beside spacebar (via option or otherwise)
traditional inverted T cursor pad,
large "L" enter/return key,
oversized backspace key, AND
all function keys usable by touch in conjunction with any or all "shift" keys
using a single, non-giant hand

like these:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Omnikey102p3248.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:ErgoLogicFlexProKB2652.jpg