Super/System/Windows/Whatever key

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu May 2 16:54:25 UTC 2013

On 05/02/2013 08:30 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-05-01 22:06 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

>>> Super
>>> introductory
>>> have
>>> are not
>
>>> Based on the pictures that DJ posted later, it looks like his keyboard
>>> is the same IBM model M that I have, and I sure as heck didn't "care-
>>> fully source" a Super key-less keyboard.  As far as I know, the
>>> Windows/
>>> Super key hadn't been invented when my keyboard was manufactured
>>> back in
>>> 1996.  (If it had been invented, it certainly wasn't ubiquitous.)
>
>> Okay, okay, if you're still using one, you get a pass. But come on,
>> understand that about 99% of existing PC keyboards have a
>> Super/System/Windows/Whatever key, and it seems kind of a waste of
>> effort to hack up the video just to acknowledge those of us who still
>> have prehistoric keyboards. I mean, can we agree it's a bit nitpicky?
>
> I too use a heavy, ancient IBM keyboard, but only for lack of adequate
> quantity of better. My (3) primaries also were acquired last century.
> I'd love to have extra keys if I could find any affordable models made
> for touch typing, with:
>
> CAPSLOCK in typewriter location beside spacebar (via option or otherwise)
> traditional inverted T cursor pad,
> large "L" enter/return key,
> oversized backspace key, AND
> all function keys usable by touch in conjunction with any or all
> "shift" keys using a single, non-giant hand
>
> like these:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Omnikey102p3248.jpg
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:ErgoLogicFlexProKB2652.jpg

I have fond memories of the Omnikey keyboards.

I am currently using an SIIG keyboard with mechanical key switches.
The SIIG was flakey until I reseated the cable connector inside the
keyboard.
The SIIG is sensitive to RF fields.   But it does have a good feel.

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com