QA:Testcase_desktop_updates proposal

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun May 5 18:27:02 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-05-05 at 14:18 -0400, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-05-04 at 21:07 -0400, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> >> Dear Testers:
> >>     I have run the test at
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_updates several fimes
> >> recently and would like to propose the following clarifiction addition
> >> for others who might run this test.
> >>
> >> How to Test step 5 reads "Wait for more updates to become available,
> >> manually downgrade some packages so updates for them are again
> >> available, or re-install "
> >>
> >> I wish to add a box note like the "Tip for shortening the waiting time
> >> to the updates notification" called "Tip for manually downgrading
> >> packages".
> >>

> >> "Tip for manually downgrading packages".
> >> To find a package to downgrade the following steps can be taken:
> >> 1. Open a terminal and login as root or use sudo for the following commands.
> >>
> >> 2. Run command <yum history list> to deterime the instance number of the
> >> last yum update, most likely it will be 2.
> >>
> >> 3. Run command <yum history info #instance-number#> #instance-number# is
> >> the last instance from yum history.
> >>
> >> 4. Choose a package or packages from the info list, it may be necessary
> >> to pipe the output to less or more to view.
> >>
> >> 5. Run command <yum downgrade /path_to_package/packagename.rpm and let
> >> yum downgrade the package.
> >
> > The idea seems fine, though you don't need to pass a path or the
> > extension '.rpm' to downgrade a package; just 'yum downgrade
> > packagename' will work if an available repo has an older version of a
> > package.
> >
> Adam - It is quite possible I have been doing something wrong, but when
> I install TCx or RCx and then yum update and foo-0.1 which came from the
> anaconda install media is updated to foo-0.2; I find that yum downgrade
> foo and yum downgrade foo-0.1 returns the nothing to downgrade error;
> but if I yum downgrade /path_to_anaconda_repo/foo-0.1.rpm it works.  Not
> sure if this is something in my test methods and setup or if it should
> be that way.

Well, no, we're both right :)

Obviously your anaconda 'repo' is not actually set up as a yum repo,
it's just a directory. So in that case, yeah, if you want to downgrade
to a specific .RPM which is not actually in one of your yum
repositories, you can specify it explicitly.

But as I said, if you have a package installed for which an older
version exists in your yum repos, just 'yum downgrade packagename' will
work.

That case is fairly common for pre-releases, because you usually have
updates-testing enabled; so any time a package is in updates-testing,
you can 'downgrade' to the version that's in the 'stable' repo, and then
as long as the updates-testing repo is enabled, you'll have an update
available.