Big problem with an update

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat May 25 12:25:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:43:15PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> Thanks anyway for the suggestion - it seems it's about the only thing
> that could be done under the circumstances

Not exactly! First you have to finish messed up upgrade, by whatever
means necessary, and make sure that results are sane and bootable.  Only
then you are running 'package-cleanup --cleandupes'.  I did such
recovery procedures on quite few occassions and they work fine but you
need to be careful about what you are doing.

Yet another possibility is to use '--justdb' rpm option to bring your
rpm database to a pre-upgrade state and run an upgrade once again.
Seems tad safer than moving with '--justdb' in another direction and
makes sure that you are not left with unresolved dependencies.

   Michal