Attempt to recover

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat May 25 21:24:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 11:22:38AM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> Being the stubborn person I am I am attempting to recover my 19 system.
>
> I chrooted into 19 from 18 and ran package-clean --problems
>
> I have reinstalled libxvmc...but for some reason the system still
> thinks it's incomplete

Are you sure that you installed in the right system (rpm has an option -r)?
If yes then maybe a wrong version?

> I than ran ldconfig
>
> # ldconfig: File /lib/libqpdf.so.10.1.0 is empty, not checked.
> ldconfig: File /lib/libdialog.so.11.1.0 is empty, not checked.

Does 'rpm -qf /lib/libqpdf.so.10.1.0' says that they belong to installed
packages?  Maybe these are just leftovers?

'rpm -Va' will test an integrity of all packages present in the current
database.  Redirect an output and check results later.  It is really
hard to guess what you possibly removed.  A trivial reason you are
failing to boot could be that you are attempting to use a new kernel for
which initramfs was not yet build.  This happens in %posttrans package
script and you apparently crashed before this had a chance to run.

    Michal