F20 anaconda progress bar

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Mon Sep 16 09:40:43 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

> On 12/09/13 05:54, Richard Ryniker wrote:

> > On my last installation (TC4) anaconda's blue progress bar stalled at
>
> > approximately 40% while thousands of packages were installed.  I suspect
>
> > this is "Working as Designed".  There is a continuing display of package
>
> > names as they are installed, as well as counts of installed packages and
>
> > total number of packages to be installed, therefore a user is not likely
>
> > to think the installation process is stuck just because there is no
>
> > movement of the progress bar.  The little slide show below the progress
>
> > bar also continues.
>

> > This does, however, give an impression the installer is a bit crude:
>
> > during the longest part of the installation process, there is no movement
>
> > of the progress bar.
>

> > If someone does see better behavior of the anaconda progress indicator,
>
> > please post to say it is my experience that is wacky.
>

> I have observed the same as you. I suspect it only get s updated after each
> stage of installation is completed.

> I think there should be a progress bar for each stage, updating according to
> the number of micro-stages/files/byt es/... (as appropriate) processed. From
> memory, as the last install I did was for F19, there should be 4 bars
> labelled appropriate ly . This way, not only would be people be aware of
> what stage the installation was at, but they would have an indication of the
> progress in the current stage, and what other s tages were yet to be
> started. Obviously, i f 2 or more stage could be done in parallel, then
> those progress ba rs would be updated concurrently.

> More importantly, the progress bar ( if there is only to be one) should be
> finer grained than up dating after each major stage.

> Just my 2 pennies worth.

> Cheers,
> Gavi n

Right, anaconda doesn't have a progress bar, but a "stage indicator". Unfortunately it is displayed as... a progress bar.

I tried to explain the differences and propose some improvements to Martin Sivak, a former Anaconda developer, but he wouldn't listen. He doesn't work on Anaconda anymore, so maybe someone else might be more open to this dialogue.

I suggest that you write into anaconda-devel mailing list [1], or/and create a bugzilla report with your suggestions.

Kamil