Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

jwildebo at redhat.com jwildebo at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 13:05:17 UTC 2013

On 09/24/2013 02:44 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> I'm not sure what that response is supposed to be adding to the
> discussion since it's a well known fact the discomfort it brings
> to reporters to have them go upstream to report.

On a more fundamental note:

Fedora isn't just upstream-slapped-with-a-specfile. As a distribution
the resposibility is more complex:

- - Distribution-specific problems that come from the selection of
versions and dependencies.

- - Distribution-specific problems coming from "own" projects like
installer, update management etc.

Combined with the different set of expectations from users versus
maintainers versus developers.

There will always be a need to track fedora-specific issues (note that
I say issues, not bugs!). And once you accept the need for that, the
rest follows.

Your proposal effectively ignores the distribution speficic part.

I (and quite some others, I guess) have a different view. From
distribution to upstream to distribution. You cannot ignore the
distribution part. You cannot ignore the difference between issues and
bugs. You cannot wipe all that away without causing severe problems.

Sending users to upstream doesn't work. It will upset upstream and
force users to jump through even more hoops. Maintaininhg a working
relationship with upstream is a very responsible task that should not
be decentralized. That's my take to sum it all up. Don't go there :-)

Jan

- --
Jan H Wildeboer                |
EMEA Open Source Affairs       | Office: +49 (0)89 205071-207
Red Hat GmbH                   | Mobile: +49 (0)174 33 23 249
Technopark II, Haus C          | Fax:    +49 (0)89 205071-111
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 11 -15 |
85630 Grasbrunn                |

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH,
Technopark II, Haus C, Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 11 -15
85630 Grasbrunn, Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 153243
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Mark Hegarty, Charlie Peters, Michael Cunningham,
Charles Cachera

GPG KeyID: 59E022AA
GPG Fingerprint: 1222 D871 BC4D AF82 D55C 46E7 4D83 56FE 59E0 22AA