Evaluating MozTrap as a TCMS for Fedora QA

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 14 08:33:56 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-13 14:48, Amita Sharma wrote:

>> We spent a few hackfest hours at Flock doing a preliminary evaluation
>> of
>> MozTrap. We certainly didn't make any decisions yet, but we at least
>> span up some test instances and played around with it a little. So far
>> we've found some really nice things, some that seem a bit awkward or
>> messy, and some where we might need to send some patches (e.g.
>> integrating with FAS / OpenID).
> Heya,
>
> Can we get details of nice things and messy things or is it all what
> piratepad contains?

Yeah, the piratepad was basically the notes for the session. I believe
we put all the things we noticed in there. If any of the notes is hard
to understand ("you had to be there" :>) ask and one of us will explain,
if we can remember.

>> We used a Piratepad to take rough notes during one of the hackfests:
>> http://piratepad.net/FedoraMozTrap
>>
>> We also chatted to some of the upstream developers, who are available
>> in
>> #moztrap on Mozilla IRC, and they seem open minded and willing to take
>> suggestions and patches, which is great.
>>
>> Mike and Tim I think are planning to set up a sandbox deployment in
>> "The
>> Cloud" somewhere - something quick and dirty and not suitable for
>> production, just available so we can play with the system in a shared
>> deployment.

> will that be open for every one use?

That was basically the idea. I don't know if we'd set it up for open
registration or just do manual account creations for anyone on test@ who
wanted to play with it, but yeah, the idea was to let all of us mess
around with an instance.

>> In the meantime, if you want to check it out, it's pretty
>> easy to set up a local deployment following this guide:
>>
>> http://moztrap.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installation.html
>>
>> what you get is not remotely suitable for opening to non-local access
>> (it's very insecure and would give poor performance) but it works fine
>> for local testing.

> I tried to set it up on one of my F20 VM, but flunked, troubleshooting
> yet.

What did you have trouble with? IIRC the instructions are wrong at one
point, about where you create the virtualenv - you should do it in the
*top level* moztrap dir, i.e. do 'git checkout' and then 'virtualenv
moztrap', not cd into moztrap before doing the virtualenv. I went back
and forth on that one for a bit. But that's from memory, I might
possibly be wrong.