Evaluating MozTrap as a TCMS for Fedora QA

Amita Sharma amsharma at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 13:48:03 UTC 2014

On 08/13/2014 06:24 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks!
>
> Shortly before Flock I came across Mozilla's current TCMS, MozTrap, and
> thought it might make a good candidate for a new TCMS for Fedora.
> Mozilla's production deployment is at https://moztrap.mozilla.org/ ,
> their staging deployment (with newer code and a less overwhelming test
> database) is at https://moztrap.allizom.org/ , and the source is at
> https://github.com/mozilla/moztrap .
>
> We spent a few hackfest hours at Flock doing a preliminary evaluation of
> MozTrap. We certainly didn't make any decisions yet, but we at least
> span up some test instances and played around with it a little. So far
> we've found some really nice things, some that seem a bit awkward or
> messy, and some where we might need to send some patches (e.g.
> integrating with FAS / OpenID).
Heya,

Can we get details of nice things and messy things or is it all what
piratepad contains?

> We used a Piratepad to take rough notes during one of the hackfests:
> http://piratepad.net/FedoraMozTrap
>
> We also chatted to some of the upstream developers, who are available in
> #moztrap on Mozilla IRC, and they seem open minded and willing to take
> suggestions and patches, which is great.
>
> Mike and Tim I think are planning to set up a sandbox deployment in "The
> Cloud" somewhere - something quick and dirty and not suitable for
> production, just available so we can play with the system in a shared
> deployment.
will that be open for every one use?
> In the meantime, if you want to check it out, it's pretty
> easy to set up a local deployment following this guide:
>
> http://moztrap.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installation.html
>
> what you get is not remotely suitable for opening to non-local access
> (it's very insecure and would give poor performance) but it works fine
> for local testing.
I tried to set it up on one of my F20 VM, but flunked, troubleshooting yet.

> I'd be interested to hear what people think! My gut instinct is we're
> getting to the limit of what we can do with our mediawiki-TCMS system,
> and MozTrap is the best option for replacing it we've seen so far, but
> we should look into it more before making any decisions.
If this decision is made, have we thought about the migration/porting of
existing wiki test case/plans to tcms?

Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,
Ami