rfc: expectations for partitioning, Fedora.next

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Feb 23 03:57:23 UTC 2014

On Feb 22, 2014, at 7:33 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 2014-02-22 18:49 (GMT-0700) Chris Murphy composed:
>
>>> "This crappy partioning GUI in the installer is does not give me the amount of control on partitioning desired by me."
>
>> I don't understand this. It's the most capable GUI partitioner + OS installer I've ever encountered, and I've used quite a few installers, yet maybe I'm missing something obvious?
>
> openSUSE? Nothing else comes close.

Good example. There's a lot of nitty gritty reveals in openSUSE expert partitioner: I can set the right ext4/XFS mkfs options for proper hardware RAID alignment, and disable the ext4 journal, and a ton of other stuff.

But partitioning, RAID, and LVM wise, I'm not seeing what I can do with openSUSE expert partitioning that I can't do with anaconda. However, on anaconda, I can create RAID 4 arrays, which seems unnecessary.

Anyway, there's sufficient duplicative effort between then openSUSE and Fedora installers when it comes to ninja partitioning I'm not really understanding why they don't share an upstream project. And why they prevent their users from leveraging these capabilities to create storage outside of an OS install context, and for making modifications to existing storage. They aren't as pretty as gparted, but do a lot more. It's a lot of wheels being reinvented.

Chris Murphy