3.16.x on i686

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 23:30:59 UTC 2014

> > > systemd doesn't just 'create init files', I don't think. It *does* have
> > > a concept of dependencies, which could account for this effect.
> >
> > I'm seeing it, at least appear, to do something like this. There's a
> > new binary, at least since systemd-208 in F-20 (sorry, shitty hotel
> > wifi makes it too hard to do wider triage) called:
> >
> > /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-sysv-generator
> >
> > > What services exactly are you talking about?
> >
> > I'm seeing the following style of messages in dmesg. The following is
> > a sample but wc tells me there's 343 entries:
> >
> > [44437.200793] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for radvd.service
> > [44437.200810] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for ebtables.service
> > [44437.200814] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for oddjobd.service
> > [44437.200818] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for spice-vdagentd.service
> > [44437.200822] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for livesys-late.service
> > [44437.200826] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for tcsd.service
> > [44437.200831] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for livesys.service
> > [44437.200837] systemd-sysv-generator[24124]: Could not find init
> > script for radvd.service
> >
> > I can dig further if necessary in the next few days, I'm travelling at
> > the moment and $dayjob is a bit intense so time is limited in the
> > short term :(
>
> Huh, well that's interesting. I guess I'll look into it.

So, I looked, and found:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/src/sysv-generator?id=95ed3294c632f5606327149f10cef1eb34422862

if I'm reading that correctly, I think this is basically the way systemd
is now handling legacy sysv initscripts - by generating systemd units
for them in a transient directory (/run/systemd/generator.late) on the
fly at boot time.

That particular error is from the set_dependencies_from_rcnd function.
I'm finding myself too dumb to figure out exactly what the generator is
trying to do at that point, but I do notice that on my Rawhide system -
which is pretty old, old enough to have been sysv at one point - I have
a whole ton of dangling symlinks to old initscripts in /etc/rc*.d/, and
at a glance, the "Could not find init script for foo.service" messages
in my logs map quite nicely to all those dangling symlinks. I suspect if
I cleaned them all up, the messages would go away.

I think the "Could not find init script" errors are probably due to this
'dangling symlink' problem, and the fact that .service files are being
generated is intentional - just the way systemd is handling remaining
sysv services - and not a bug. That's my reading on the situation
anyway. You should find the generated .service files match the remaining
sysv services you have in /etc/init.d ; that's the case for me:

[adamw at adam isos]$ ls /etc/init.d/
functions  livesys-late  network  vboxadd          vboxadd-x11
livesys    netconsole    README   vboxadd-service

[adamw at adam isos]$ ls /run/systemd/generator.late/
livesys-late.service  network-online.target.wants  vboxadd-service.service
livesys.service       network.service              vboxadd-x11.service
netconsole.service    vboxadd.service