3.16.x on i686

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 23:57:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 19:52 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2014-06-24 16:35 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:
>
> > I'm using Firefox. The version field is a bit further down the form than
> > you might be looking, perhaps?
>
> That's it, a list made obtuse by so many things in between out of logical
> order, and populated by a big bunch of lines with single digits beginning
> with 1 (instead of e.g. most recent versions at top). Bugzilla.novell.com has
> a nice workaround for the illogical order: after first selecting openSUSE,
> one sees in the product list such names as openSUSE 13.1, openSUSE 12.3,
> openSUSE 12.2....

So...it's kind of a mess. Bugzilla was really designed to be deployed as
one instance per "software project", specifically,
one-instance-per-Mozilla-browser. And then some years passed, and now
we're here. :P

bugzilla.redhat.com is a single bugzilla instance for two Linux
distributions, a middleware stack, a couple of clouds, several
virtualization systems, and Pete only knows what else. If Red Hat sprang
into existence tomorrow with its current product range, we probably
wouldn't create a single bugzilla instance and stuff all those products
into it. We almost certainly wouldn't use quite the hierarchy we're
currently saddled with. But the whole thing evolved sort of organically
over the years, and it's rather difficult to change. I don't think we
could easily switch over from having "Fedora" as a product with multiple
versions to having multiple Fedora "products", and I'm not sure that
would necessarily be a good change in all respects anyway.

It is possible to tweak things in RHBZ to improve the experience, but
you have to be quite careful to consider the impacts on *everything else
in RHBZ*, so it all happens quite slowly, and is unfortunately quite
internal to Red Hat. Every so often we kick around the idea of splitting
Fedora out from RHBZ and getting its own BZ instance or using a
different tracker, but it never quite happens...just one of those
things, I guess :/