3.16.x on i686

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 02:22:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 19:45 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 16:30:59 -0700,
>   Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >I think the "Could not find init script" errors are probably due to this
> >'dangling symlink' problem, and the fact that .service files are being
> >generated is intentional - just the way systemd is handling remaining
> >sysv services - and not a bug. That's my reading on the situation
> >anyway. You should find the generated .service files match the remaining
> >sysv services you have in /etc/init.d ; that's the case for me:
>
> Thanks, that helped me get rid of extraneous boot output.
>
> I used:
> rm -vf `find -L /etc/rc.d -lname '*'`
> to remove these sym links.

Tip:

symlinks -d ./

> However this didn't solve my concern about some services attempting to
> start that shouldn't.

Yeah, like I said, the 'could not find init script' output and the
generated services appear to be different issues.

It seems that the generator stuff causes network.service to be run, for
me. It creates a directory
called /run/systemd/generator.late/network-online.target.wants and
symlinks network.service in there - i.e. it's saying that
network.service should be run as a part of the target
network-online.target . I'm not sure if this is correct, or a bug. I'll
have to talk to the systemd devs about it.

I think we'd have to look into each specific case of a service being run
to figure out exactly why - it'd help to see your
entire /run/systemd/generator.late tree, for a start.

>  But now I'm thinking there might be some other
> old config around that I should look for. I'm going to start with
> plague-server since I never actually used that, but might have had to
> disable it in the past.

The most obvious thing is whether you have a SXXservice symlink
in /etc/rc*.d; that constitutes the service being 'enabled' so far as
SysV is concerned, and so in that case it seems correct for systemd to
enable the runtime-generated systemd service. But there may be other
reasons why this might happen, I think we'd best look at them case by
case.

dropping kernel list from CC, I don't think it wants these messages.