3.16.x on i686

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 02:24:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 19:48 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 13:52:10 -0500,
>   Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:34:53 -0700,
> > Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>All 3.16 kernels before 3.16.0-0.rc2.git0.1 are just fundamentally
> >>broken on i686, I think, unless you pass 'vdso=0'. I wouldn't bother
> >>messing with anything unless you're using the rc2 kernel, or passing
> >>vdso=0.
> >
> >I'll be testing that shortly on x86_64 and on i686 tonight. But I am
> >seeing two different problems and I'd be surprised if either was that
> >problem. I suspect I am not getting far enough into the boot to see
> >that problem.
>
> 3.16.0-0.rc2.git0.1 is pretty broken too. I am definitely seeing two
> other issues.

Well, it's a pretty early one, so this isn't surprising. The 'special'
thing about the vdso bug is it was, AFAICT, more or less a complete
showstopper for the i686 kernel, regardless of hardware: it happened on
any system you tried to boot an i686 kernel on.

> >The one affecting raid has been filed. The other one is a crash early
>
> It looks like this one might be elsewhere in the I/O stack. When I got
> a live image to boot, dd reported /dev/sda3 as zero size which would
> explain why the superblock was bad. blkid returned info about the device
> so this seems really odd. And it only seems to happen on this one
> partition.

Yup, file the bugs and hopefully they'll be fixed rapidly :)