/var to mount over is not empty

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri May 16 00:22:54 UTC 2014

This happens on both F20 and Rawhide with separately mounted /var.

[    2.839950] f20v.localdomain systemd[1]: Mounting /var...
[    2.840310] f20v.localdomain systemd[1]: var.mount: Directory /var to mount over is not empty, mounting anyway.

The thing being created in the underlying /var before mounting is:
/var/lib/dhclient

However, NetworkManager doesn't start dhclient until after the mount. But NetworkManager itself is started up before the /var mount. So I think maybe it's NetworkManager that's creating the folder. But I don't really know.

Can anyone thing of a way to find out what creates this empty directory on startup? My crude idea was to set an selinux label on /var to preventing anything from being created there, and then see what explodes. But I'm not quite sure what chcon command to use. Obviously I'd have to do this on /var when nothing is mounted to it.

Chris Murphy