can someone suggest why firefox is so &$*&^%*#^&%* slow?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 24 15:06:15 UTC 2014

Robert P. J. Day wrote on 2014-09-24 10:44 (GMT-0400):

>   i am at my wit's end with firefox on my fedora rawhide system -- to
> say it's nad-grindingly slow would be charitable. just now, i tried
> clicking on another tab ... some 30 seconds later, i am still waiting
> for the tab to change, oh, wait, there it is.

>   watching any sort of youtube video is excruciating ... while audio
> is typically, i will frequently get *maybe* one frame change a second,
> i kid you not. i frequently get javascripts that are not responding,
> and i'm asked whether i want to wait for them.

>   is there *something* i can do to debug this? what firefox
> configuration settings should i be looking at? i'm willing to try
> anything because, at this point, firefox is utterly unusable. even
> something as simple as scrolling in a window is painfully slow.

Things to try:

1-virgin profile

2-uninstall Flash (there is no "current" Flash version for Linux)

3-try a Mozilla.org binary. They are profile compatible, plug & play.

4-safe mode (disabled extensions)

5-disable extensions one at a time

6-SeaMonkey. Same browser engine, different UI.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/