can someone suggest why firefox is so &$*&^%*#^&%* slow?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 15:13:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:44:40 -0400 (EDT), Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i am at my wit's end with firefox on my fedora rawhide system -- to
> say it's nad-grindingly slow would be charitable. just now, i tried
> clicking on another tab ... some 30 seconds later, i am still waiting
> for the tab to change, oh, wait, there it is.
>
>   watching any sort of youtube video is excruciating ... while audio
> is typically, i will frequently get *maybe* one frame change a second,
> i kid you not. i frequently get javascripts that are not responding,
> and i'm asked whether i want to wait for them.
>
>   is there *something* i can do to debug this? what firefox
> configuration settings should i be looking at? i'm willing to try
> anything because, at this point, firefox is utterly unusable. even
> something as simple as scrolling in a window is painfully slow.
>
>   oh, and i'm on a quad core i7, so i'm pretty sure horsepower isn't
> the problem.

You've not mentioned any details about the graphics hardware. So, not
even the people who know of driver limitations could comment on this
problem.

Is this within GNOME Shell?

Have you tried a very simple window manager such as Openbox to reproduce
the problem? Is it reproducible with other video resolutions and/or the
VESA driver, too?