Proposal: Split up QA:Testcase_desktop_updates into three separate test cases

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 28 01:09:50 UTC 2015

Hey folks!

So several people have commented in the past that
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_updates is kind of
a mess, and I think that's correct. I think we were trying to make
things 'efficient' at the time by exercising several different things
in one test, but it really does result in a messy, hard-to-comprehend
test case.

So, I propose we split it into three separate test cases, and I've
drafted them up:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_base_upd
ate_cli
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_desktop_
update_graphical
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_desktop_
update_notification

The first would be an Alpha test case in the Base (not desktop)
results page, and just covers installing updates with yum/dnf. The
second would be a Beta test case in the Desktop page, and covers
installing updates from a graphical desktop. The third would be a
Final test case in the Desktop page, and covers notification of
available updates.

I'm also planning to draft some additional test cases covering package
installation and removal tomorrow - mainly for the test day we have
coming up, but it would probably not be a bad idea to have them as
release validation tests as well.

What do folks think? Does this look like an improvement? Thanks!